Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cancer

Ten years ago I attended my first Easter Brunch with Colin's family. I was 19 years old and we had been dating for about three months. If you know the Bardsley's, Colin's Grandparents, this wasn't just another day for them.

Easter, growing up, was a family time; we decorated eggs, hung out with family and enjoyed the day together. When I became a Christian, I learned about Christ's birth, and the true meaning of Easter celebration, His death on the cross and resurrection. With the promise to one day return for his sheep.

That first Easter in April of 2000 I met many people. Most of them were relatives of Colin, cousin's, aunts and uncles, friends and neighbors. That Easter is when I met Mr. Hanson. Nick and Norma Hanson live down the street from Colin's grandparents, and they have been friends for over 40 years. Their children grew up together, Colin was in their daughter's wedding, and well they are pretty much like family. Mr. Hanson owned a card shop, selling all kinds of sports paraphernalia. He was a tall man, very friendly and funny. Mr. Hanson and Colin's grandpa, Bud were great friends. Over the years I had the privilege of getting to know him a little and he was a great man. This past January he lost his battle to prostate cancer. I am not sure how long his battle lasted, he always seemed to have lots of energy and was very much focused on his family and not his illness. Even to the end you could see life and love in his eyes. I feel privileged to have known him, and privileged to run with Team in Training in his memory.

Please join me in the fight to find a cure for cancer, you can donate online:

Team in Training: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

~Mindie

No comments:

Post a Comment