Wednesday, February 17, 2010

H.O.P.E.

Yesterday, I stopped by a place called, HOPE (Helping our people in Elsinore); a Christian organization that meets the needs of poverty stricken people in Lake Elsinore. I heard about it through the, "Volunteer a day, Get a day Free @ Disneyland," promotion and thought I would check it out. I have a pass to DL, so I don't need it, but it sparked my need to get involved and help my neighbors.
H.O.P.E. is located in a somewhat small warehouse building on 2nd street near an RV store on the side of the freeway between Central and Main Street. I went inside and explained my desire to volunteer to a woman named Laurie. She gave me a tour of the facilities and went over the hours and work that is done daily. Most of the need is to pack and organize food and clothing before it is delivered to those in the community that need it. Unfortunately, it is not really baby-friendly so I would have to find someone to watch Kellen if I wanted to serve.
They usually meet from 9 am to 12 pm to pack up supplies that are then delivered. A friend has volunteered to watch Kellen while I go and get my feet wet with this organization. Saidah (Ali) Knutson has gracefully offered to watch Kellen so that I can check this place out and see if God has called me to serve here. Not sure what will come of it, but I am excited to give back to the people of Elsinore.
If you click on the title of my blog it will take you to the H.O.P.E. home page. I’ll let you know what happens…

1 comment:

  1. sounds good excited for you!! Thanks for your heart to serve.

    ReplyDelete